Title: HPC SW Engineer
Location: Annapolis Junction, MD
*Clearance: *Active TS/SCI w/ Polygraph needed to apply *
Cornerstone Defense, in partnership with our military, intelligence, and civil government customers, supports U.S. operations worldwide through the use of many different types of intelligence, satellite, and cyber technologies. Cornerstone’s Intelligence Sector provides solutions to the United States Government for information collection, operations, exploitation and dissemination, and research activities. Our Team specializes in software development, cloud architecture, systems and network engineering, systems integration, agile management, as well as targeting operations and intelligence analysis. Our support to our mission customers includes cyber network operations, exploitation and defense, signals intelligence, human intelligence, and critical missions and networks.
The HPC Software Engineer (HSE) designs, develops; tests, deploys, documents, maintains, and enhances complex and diverse software for HPC (high performance computing) systems based upon documented requirements, Critical for an HSE is either a very strong math background and/or a very strong Computer hardware background, One or both of these is required in order for the HSE to be able to understand the intricacies of the HPC architecture that is being targeted by the software being developed, or to understand the complex mathematical principles which-underlie the software applications being developed. The systems might include, but are not limited to, processing-intensive analytics, novel algorithm development, manipulation of extremely large data sets, real-time systems, and systems which incorporate data repositories, data transport services, and application and systems development and monitoring. Works -individually or as part of a team. Reviews and tests software components for adherence to the design requirements and documents test results. Resolves software problem reports. Utilizes software development and software design methodologies appropriate to the development environment. Provides specific input to the software components of system design to include hardware/software trade-offs, software reuse, use of Open Source Software (OSS) and/or Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS)/Government Off-The-Shelf (GOTS) software in place of new development, and requirements analysis and synthesis from system level to individual software components. Working knowledge of Configuration Management (CM) tools and Web Services implementation.
The Level 1 HPC Software Engineer (HSE) shall possess the following capabilities:
· Analyze user requirements to derive software design and performance requirements.
· Debug existing software and correct defects.
· Design and code new software or modify existing software to add new features.
· Write or review software and system documentation.
· Integrate existing software into new or modified systems or operating environments.
· Develop simple data queries for existing or proposed databases or data repositories
· Has experience with agile development processes.
· Has experience with source code control systems, such as Git.
· Experience using collaboration and software development tools (ie. Atlassian). Develop and execute test procedures for software components.
· Software development using continuous integration practices.
· Develop software solutions by analyzing system performance standards and conferring with users or system engineers; analyzing systems flow, data usage and work processes; and investigating problem areas.
· Experience developing software for HPC systems using parallel development languages/paradigms such as SHMEM, MPI, UPC, Chapel, or P-Threads.
· Experience developing software targeted to take advantage of a specific architecture's unique features, whether those features are in the processor, memory, network, storage, or other area of an HPC system.
· Modify existing software to adapt to new hardware or to improve its performance.
· Design, develop, and modify software systems, using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcomes and consequences of design decisions.
· Development of assemblers, compilers, simulators, drivers, board support packages, health & status monitoring packages, and other low-level software.
· Development of event driven or data driven analytics.
Master's degree in Math, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related discipline from an accredited college or university. OR
Bachelor's degree in Math, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related discipline from an accredited college or university, plus two (2) years of experience as an HSE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity. OR
Four (4) years of experience as an HSE, in programs and contracts of similar scope, type, and complexity.
The contractor shall be tasked with designing, developing, testing, deploying, and documenting complex and diverse software solutions in a Unix High Performance Computing (HPC) environment.
Additional tasking shall include design and development of new software as well as integration and modification of existing software to system components. Contractor shall be responsible for performing characterization and performance tuning of various software stacks throughout the system including managing the software and system test development, performance, and benchmarking for each HPC node type throughout the System of Systems.
Task Required Skills
§ Experience developing scripts using Bash/Python
§ Experience using the Unix command line
§ General HPC technical knowledge regarding compute, network, memory, and storage components
§ Experience developing with multiple high level programming languages in a Unix environment
§ Experience with containerization technologies such as Docker
§ Experience with HPC open source parallel programming methods such as OpenSHMEM, pthreads, Open MPI, and UPC
§ Experience developing test plans, operational assessment test reports, and associated documentation
§ Experience with automating test procedures
Task Desired Skills